Saturday, November 12, 2011

Robin Parrish


Dear Readers,
I can't believe I didn't write a review for this book before.  I think because I had published Louis' blog about it I kind of forgot to do mine.  When I was doing work for the workshop in Chicago a few weeks ago, I realized I hadn't written my own.  Oops.

I actually almost didn't read Vigilante by Robin Parrish.  I have read all of Robin's other Vigilante, , bpg9780764206085books, and really liked them, until I got to the ends of the books.  That is where they fall flat.  I am happy to report that this book does not have that problem . I really enjoyed reading this book mostly because, for lack of a better term, this is a book about a Christian Batman.

Billboards are popping up around the country. "There is a better way". This phrase doesn't give much to go on.  Media personnel have tried to figure out who is paying for them.  No one has an answer.  That is until the new ones go up.  "I will show you a better way" billboards start appearing with a date in July listed for when it will all be made clear.  That releases a firestorm of excitement in the general public and there is a huge influx of tourists to New York City for that special day.  Who or what could be behind those billboards and what do they mean?

This book was almost like reading a comic book without the panels.  The Hand has all the gadgets which make him almost invinicible.  He also has the talent and training to be able to take down criminals single-handedly.  There is much to this story that you need to let go of for it to be believable.   For instance, two short days after being shot, he is running around saving people.  His outfit is made out of a new and very bullet proof material that would be a great material to have invented.  Of course it does have a draw back if you get tasered. 

One of the threads of the book is the question, can one fight crime and stay above it all.  The Hand finds himself struggling with staying above it all when the Crime Boss brings the fight to his front door.  It was interesting to watch the struggle of doing the right thing even when emotions become involved.  When the Hand was just rescuing unknown people he was able to just judge right and wrong, but once it came into his own life, there is a gray area.  So is it right to fight crime by beating up the criminal? 

All interesting thoughts which of course makes this a very interesting read. 

Happy Reading 

No comments: