Saturday, November 19, 2011

Cliff Graham

Dear Readers,
Ok, so hang with me on this review.  No I am not completely crazy.  (Of course my kids would disagree with me on that.)  Anyways, I have always thought about the different personalities that books would have if they had them.  Romantic comedies would giggle a lot, guy books would grunt and lift weights, historical books would smell like smoke. 
Day of War by Cliff Graham would be the confident guy in the room that knows how good he is at something with no need to brag about it.  This book makes no apology for what kind of book it is.  It is a rough, macho, strong book.  It is about war and raids.  It is about a time when men Day of War (Lion of War Series), , n9780310331834protected their families and cities by destroying other towns and families.  Living was tough and the people even tougher.  But mostly this is the story of David and the men who followed him into exile when he fled from King Saul. 
The book opens with one of David's men helping out a village to rid it of a lion that has been terriorizing them.  This scene alone will tell you whether or not you will want to continue with the book.  It is grusome is spots, it is gritty and sometimes not easy to read, but it is fast paced and I knew right away this was a book I wanted to read.
I am wanting to say so much about this book, but it is one that you need to experience to actually understand it.  It has been a little while since I have had a chance to read a "can't lay it down"  book.  This is one.  It kept me completely interested and wanting more.  Maybe because it is so fast paced in spots and yet in others it was just about living in 998 BC.  This is one of those must-reads that I will recommend to men and women alike, and it makes me want to read the rest of the series. 
Happy Reading

No comments: