Friday, November 25, 2011

Kathi Macias

Dear Readers,
There are a few authors who will take issues that affect us and our world head on.  Kathi Macias started doing it in her Extreme Devotion series.  She wrote about Christians from around the world who were standing firm in the faith even in the face of persecution.  Each book was a candid look at their lives and what they live with every day.
In Deliver Me from Evil Kathi once again takes on a subject that we all hear about. Many then quickly turn a deaf ear to because it is too difficult to deal with or we just don't believe it happens anywhere, let alone here in America. The subject is human trafficking, with sex slaves being her focus.  Deliver Me from Evil (Freedom), , nbs9781596693067
Yes it is something that happens around the world.  In fact it is easy to say, yes it happens in third world countries,  so it is something that I don't really need to worry about.  Well whether you and I want to admit it, it happens in our own backyard.  Yes in West Michigan. 
Mara is sold into slavery by parents just trying to get money for their next hit of drugs.  Her uncle brings her to America where she becomes his slave, sold to the highest bidder over and over again. 
Chanthra's parents thought they were actually send their daughter to a better life.  They are so poor they knew they wouldn't be able to provide properly for her and her sibling, so with the promise that their daughter will be raised by a rich family looking to help someone less fortunate, they take the money and her fate is sealed. 
Jonathan is just trying to find purpose in his life.  He graduates in a couple of weeks and has no idea why he is headed to college let alone a Christian college.  One fatefull night these three lives intersect in one very brief moment, but in that brief moment no one is left the same. 
Some of this book is harder to read than other parts.  Jonathan and his family are an all American family.  There are many things that are perfect and yet not perfect in their lives.  But they also are not afraid to take on an issue that is both frightening and larger than most of us are able to understand.  Mara and Chanthra's stories are difficult to read at all times.  I found myself wanted to skip parts of it because it just wasn't something I wanted to face, but I made myself read them so I could understand better what these girls go through.  They face this life chosen for them day after day, with no break and no thought that they are human.  They are treated only as an object or worse.  This is not a life that any of us would wish on anyone no matter what and that it is happening to young men and woman and children is unbelievable. 
This is not an easy subject to read about or talk about.  In fact I have tried to end this review several different ways and I keep finding myself just getting preachy and frustrated.  It is not easy mostly because I found myself in the book getting more and more angry at the men and women who ran the places, the men who visit, anyone who would do this to a young child. And I was totally upset at those who know who is doing it and where it is happening and do nothing about it.   So the best thing I can tell you is read this book and then be prepared to learn more about this difficult topic in order to do something about it.
Happy Reading

4 comments:

Kathi Macias said...

Thank you so much, Chris, for your thoughtful post about Deliver Me From Evil, the first book in the Freedom series/trilogy. I truly appreciate your help in getting the word out about this horrific but very real topic. The more people who know about it and stand together to oppose it, the more of these precious victims can be rescued.

Kathi Macias said...

Thanks so much for having me here. Blessings to you all!

Glenda Parker Fiction Writer said...

I look forward to reading your book on human trafficking. The book I just finished writing is on that subject. Although mine is unpublished at this time. It is a subject that is a passion to me. Thanks for your post I learn a lot from your posts. Thanks
Glenda Parker
http://glendaparkerfictionwriter.blogspot.com

Glenda Parker Fiction Writer said...

Thank you for your post. I can't wait to read your book. Human trafficking is a passion of mine. My latest book is on that subject. My book is as yet unpublished but I am anxious to read your.
Glenda Parker
http:glendaparkerfictionwriter.blogspot.com