Thursday, August 4, 2011

Julie Carobini

Dear Readers,
It took me a long time to read this book.  Well maybe I should rephrase that, it took me a while to want to read this book, as I had read one of Julie's earlier books and had a hard time getting through it.  I wasn't sure I was going to like this book, I am happy to report I really did like A Shore Thing by Julie Carobini.
A Shore Thing by Julie CarobiniI don't know if I happened to hit a perfect weekend or if it is a really quick read, but I started on a Friday night and was finished by Sunday night.  This is a fun little book (ok not so little, it has 392 pages) to read.  It isn't a great suspense novel as I pretty much figured out what was going to happen early on, but it really did keep my attention. 
Callie is a crusader.  She has always been one that is ready to take up the sword for the underdog.  She was trying to save the planet long before it was cool, so when she hears that a local piece of shoreline is going to be developed, she decides she can't quietly stand by and let it happen.
Gage is new in town.  He is still recovering from losing his job because he wouldn't over look his boss's unethical dealings.  He also has his sister and nephew to support now, and is looking to get his architechural business off the ground.  That is why when he is approached to help design the new developement in Otter Bay, he is sure that is a great way to start.
What he doesn't know is that it will put him at odds with the fiesty woman he just met at the beach.  But who is right or wrong?  Who has all their facts straight?  Will either one of them be able to figure out what God's will is for their life?
This book is set on the coast of central California.  I haven't been able to visit that part of our country before, but I think after reading this it will be on my "to visit" list.  The nice thing about a book like this is that it is a great vacation without ever leaving your house.
Happy Reading

2 comments:

Julie Carobini said...

Thank you for taking time to review, A Shore Thing, Chris. Glad you enjoyed this one! I linked your review on Twitter.

If you're interested in finding out what happens next for Suz (Gage's sister), you can read her story in Fade to Blue, my latest release from B&H. Best to you!

Chris Jager - Baker Book House-fiction buyer said...

You are welcome Julie. I hope to get to Fade to Blue soon.