Thursday, August 11, 2011

Christa Allan

Dear Readers,
Sometimes a book will slip through the cracks.  I always mean to read it and just for some reason or another I don't get to it.  Walking on Broken Glass by Christa Allan is one of those books.  I had it in the "to read" pile at my house and then it must have fallen out the bottom so to speak and I never got to read it.  I am really glad I finally did, I am sorry it took me so long to read it.
Walking on Broken Glass 
It is a topic driven book.  The subject is alcholism.  Not the bum on the street corner that we are all fond of walking around and ignoring, but this is story of a housewife that becomes a drinker to help her cope with life.  I find this one as serious if not more so because this one is easier to deny.
Leah is our main character and refuses to admit that she is an alcoholic.  Her best friend finally confronts her on her problem and tells Leah that she needs to enter rehab and soon. 
Leah knows she isn't a "terrible" drunk, but she knows she has a problem.  She can't remember nights and certain events.  She knows that she is really just self medicating, but does that mean she has a problem? 
I found this book very interesting because of the problem it looks at.  I know about alcholism, not only is the life affected by the effects of alcholism, but also by the problems that it hides.  Emotional problems and other issues are hidden because she is able to just pretend that they are not a problem. 
I also found myself thinking at different times, "does Leah actually have a problem?"  It seemed to me that she didn't have a big problem.  Oops, yes she has a problem and what was interesting were the people in her circle of friends and family that thought the same way I did. 
There is a difference between having a drink now and then and having a drink or more to just get through the day.  That is when the person does have a problem.   We as their loved ones have to remember that we should not excuse the issue just because we don't think it is that big of a deal.  It is and we need to get them help.
Happy Reading

2 comments:

Christa Allan said...

Chris,
I'm glad that my novel resurfaced, and I appreciate your review of it. It's reassuring when I know that readers "get" Leah.

Thanks for sharing this!

Chris Jager - Baker Book House-fiction buyer said...

You are welcome Christa. I am looking forward to your next book