Friday, February 6, 2015

Reading quirks

Dear Readers,

I love hearing about reader's quirks.  You know what I am talking about, those little habits each of us has.  Whether you are willing to admit it, we all have them.  Personally I always need to know how many pages are in a book.  I don't need to know the ending before I start, but by gum I need to know how many pages there are in a book. 

I don't know where or when I started doing this, but even when I try to not do it, I find myself flipping to the end of the book just to peek at the number listed there.  I guess that way I know kind of where the story is going and how quickly it is going to end. 

What is your quirk?  I know of a lady that will read the first chapter or so and if she get invested in the characters lives, will read the end of the book.  She said, "before that I don't really care what happens to them, but once I get to know them, then I got to make sure everything is going to be ok at the end of the story before I continue."  I never asked her what happens if she doesn't like the ending.

We also all know someone who just can't wait for the ending and will flip to the end, just so they know.  I think this is one that mystery readers are known for.  Personally I don't like to know the ending, I would rather guess than know and then still try to read the book.

I know another reader who will not a read a book that is set in a place they are headed on vacation.  She doesn't want anything bad to happen in the book as she is afraid it will effect her vacation.  Yes they know it is unreasonable, but she can't help it. 

How about the reader that once they get to less than a 100 pages left in the book they are reading, they better know what their next book is going to be or they get anxious and stressed about what they will be reading next. 

Are you an end of the story reader?  Do you have any other quirks?  What fun they are.  They remind us that we are all human.

Happy Reading,

No comments: