Friday, January 23, 2015

Self-published

Dear Readers,

There is an interesting new aspect to the self published world.  Established authors are releasing books under their own imprint or one that is made for the self published world.  Which from the perspective of a reader is not a bad thing.  More books from my favorite authors is never something to be worried about. 

From the perspective from someone who works in a bookstore it is not horrible either, but it does make it more difficult to help my readers who come to me in the store.  I want to bring those readers every title possible, but when someone releases a self published book it makes it harder to find and get to my shelves.

So what do you think of this new trend?  It is something you follow?  How do you find new fiction that has not released the traditional way?  Do you find the quality of the self published books as good or not? 

I personally have found that most self published books lack a bit in the quality of writing.  It is like they missed a couple steps in the editing process and could use just a bit of tighten up.  There has never been a perfect book, one with out errors - grammar or spelling - or one the everyone on the planet loves, but I also find that in self published the storylines are looser and there is often a thread that wanders into the story, but never really accomplishes anything or adds to the story. 

I am wondering if any of you have experienced this as well or am I just being a "published" snob about books. 

Happy Reading,

No comments: