Thursday, September 4, 2014

A review - sort of


Dear Readers,

I was walking through one of my favorite places in the store, well, besides the fiction department, the used books.  There is something about that part of the store that is just a nice peaceful place to be.  Of course my favorite part of it is the used fiction, there are many of my old friends sitting on the shelves just waiting to introduce themselves to a reader.
 
That is one thing that makes that place so special, the chance to bring readers back there and either show them books from their favorite authors that they haven’t had a chance to read or to introduce them to writers they have not yet met.  Prices are quite a bit lower than on the new shelves and that makes it easy to “talk” a reader into a book. 

As I walk by the shelves a book like The Shape of Mercy by Susan Meissner reminds me of the
Old version of the used fiction department.
story she wrote that made her an instant favorite.  There's the Season Series by Terri Blackstock and Beverly LaHaye that made me want to move into a small neighborhood and enjoy the benefits of having neighbors who are your best friends and a wonderful support system.  There's Stephen Lawhead who years ago introduced me to a world so unlike our own which yet was part of world history with Merlin, King Arthur and the round table.   Of course I can’t forget Dominion by Randy Alcorn, it changed how I looked at Christian fiction, but also was the reason behind the job I have now. 

They're dear friends that I still love to share.  There is something special about a used book.  They come with a history all their own, that may or may not have anything to do with the story between the covers.   One that the books themselves can’t share with us, but can leave us wondering about those that came before us.

Don’t get me wrong, there is something exciting about opening a new book for the first time.  Being the first reader of that edition is a great feeling, but used books… they have something else and it is good feeling of a shared joy of reading.

Happy Reading,

No comments: