Thursday, August 2, 2012

Tracy L. Higley

Dear Readers,
Most of us know the story of Daniel and the Lion’s Den or the fiery furnace or even that King Nebuchadnezzar actually did spend 7 years living as an animal.  But personally I have never thought about what happened during that time while he was running around, well who knows where he was living.   How did the kingdom run, who was running the kingdom and did he actually run around the country side or did they keep him hidden from people and pretend that everything was ok with the world.  And how did they get away with that for 7 years.
Garden of Madness by Tracy L. Higley addresses that part of the story.  What were those seven years like?  The story itself is written from the perspective of Tiamat, Nebuchadnezzar’s daughter, and it starts at the end of the 7 years. 
Within hours of Tia’s husband’s death she learns that she is to be given to her cousin in marriage to form a treaty with the Median kingdom.  There is treachery everywhere and there are several groups of people making a play for the throne with the absence of the king.   Tiamat is struggling to keep the secret of her father’s madness, while protecting him from anyone who may want to cause him harm or even reveal his secret to the world. 
This was one of those books that I read just for the knowledge I would get from it and found myself completely enjoying myself also.  I guess I should have known that as I really do like Tracy’s books.  She is so good at putting faces on history.  Her series, 7 Wonders, was so very interesting.  I found out things about several of the 7 wonders of the ancient world that I didn’t know.  It is what makes her books good, while reading a history book I am learning something new that makes me want to learn more about the topic.  I even find myself having to remind me that the person in the book may not be a real person, but I sure do want them to be.
Happy Reading

No comments: