Thursday, August 30, 2012

Michael Neale

Dear Readers,
Sometimes while I read a book I know that the review is going to be difficult to write.  The River by Michael Neale is that type of book.  I completely loved the book.  In fact there was a couple of times I just didn't want to put it down.  The thing is I can't put my finger on why I liked it so much, it wasn't the type of book that makes you want to turn pages and yet it is a book that makes you keep turning those same pages.  This is a quiet unassuming book that you will end up wanting to share with others.
The River, Michael NealeGabriel is 4 years old when he sees his father die while rescuing a kayaker from the River.  He is sent to live with his mother in Kansas after that and we then watch him struggle with the loss of his father and the fears and sadness that brought on.  He is a quiet boy that has days that fit into two different categories - good days or bad days.  The bad days are when he retreats to his safe place and is unable to find his way out for a bit.  His mother loves him and worries about him, but is unable to help.
When Gabriel goes on a camping trip after high school he has an experience that changes his life and where he was heading.  He goes white water rafting on The River.  He is both terrified to go and yet very drawn to it.  It takes a cute girl to talk him into going and once he does he knows he cannot live without living life on the River.
I guess you could call this book an Allegory without really calling it that.  'It is a storyline that has allegory leanings' might be a better way to put it.   I should also say that there are parts of this book that are very obviously first time author mistakes, but they are also easy to overlook.   I thought it would bother me more as that is a pet-peeve of mine because I think editors should take care of it, but probably because I was enjoying the book so much I just kind of ignored it. 
I was interested in reading the book because of the White Water Rafting part of the story.  I went for the first time a couple of years ago and I am thinking I may have to do it again.  There is nothing like it, with it both being scary beyond belief and yet so much fun.  It is kind of like the Christian life.
Happy Reading

No comments: