Thursday, August 16, 2012

TIm Owens

Dear Readers,
What do you get when you put 7 very different people into a church van?  For author Tim Owens you get an interesting book titled The Search Committee. 
When their church’s pastor moves on, this small southern town church decides it must go on a search for a new pastor.  They don’t want to rely on the testimony of churches or the pastors themselves. They decide they must send their own search committee and start asking for volunteers.  What they get is a hodgepodge group of people that all have their own issues and yet don’t really want anyone else to know them.
Travis is a young husband who is struggling with becoming a father for the first time, Susie is a single mom, Bill is caring for his ailing wife, Joyce is a Yankee and nobody thinks she understand their ways, Matt is very socially awkward, Frankie keeps the peace and then there is Dot who is the church busybody.
I wasn’t sure I was going to like this book, but since my book club is reading it this fall I decide to jump in and see what it was all about.  I found myself liking it in spite of myself.  I found several familiar faces on the pages.  I think that Tim does a great job of representing many of the people who occupy our church pews and therefore wrote a book that we can all relate to.  The scary part is if you don’t recognize someone from your church on the pages, then you are the one that is missing.  YIKES!
I found this to be one of those books that might be hard to recommend to people, but that they will enjoy when they pick it up.

1 comment:

Diane Estrella said...

Thanks for your honest review on this book. Hope you have a great week! :O)

www.dianeestrella.com