Friday, January 20, 2012

Chris Fabry

Dear Readers,
First, I love Chris Fabry fiction books.  That is also true about Not in the Heart, his newest.  With that said, stay with me on this review even though it seems that at certain points I might not have loved it.   
I have never had a book that I liked this much but really disliked the main character.  I have had bad guys that I don't like, but that is the point right?  I have had books were the characters are poorly written, but that is not the case here.  This was a main character that I really just struggled to like.  If he was a real person, I would not have thought much of him.  There were even certain parts of the book where I felt like I was reading this book just to see what bad would finally happen to him.
Truman has followed his dream where ever and whenever it took him.  It has brought him fame and fortune, but has also cost him his family.  He never said no to doing a story no matter what he would have to miss.  Birthdays, holidays, vacations, sports game, writing the next great news story was more important than anything and everything that had to do with his family.
His son Aiden's life depends on the death of someone who has a match for his heart.  They finally found one; the problem is that person is still using it.  At least until his execution, which is scheduled for 30 days from now.  When Truman agrees to write the convicted man's story, he becomes involved in his family's lives in more ways than he was prepared for.  
I hate to say it, but that is as much as I am going to share of Truman's story.  This book has so many different layers to it that to just doing a short review about it doesn't do it justice.  The one question it speaks to is, can a convicted prisoner, whether on death row or not, donate his organs to someone?  I know that is a very slippery slope that we as a society have refrained from approaching because of how it can suddenly become a problem.
As I said earlier, I really did like this book, I just had a problem with Truman.  It is one of those books that when you get done reading it you still think about it for a while.  Every time I went to write this review, I kept thinking of different things I wanted to share, but I also don't want to give the story line away, so I will be saying no more, but this would be a great book for a book club.   
Happy Reading

P.S. This book is available in our store or by request from bakerbookstore.com

No comments: