Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Bruce Hennigan

Dear Readers,
I have never hidden that I don't really care for Christmas novellas.  Nothing against the authors, but too short and usually too sappy for me.  But this one was a strange book to read over the holidays.  The 13th Demon by Bruce Hennigan is not by any stretch of the imagination a Christmas book. 
I have also said this before; I am a great big chicken.  I don't like horror movies, I don't read Stephen King etc...  I am just not into scary books or movies.  So reading this book was a bit strange for me.  But I liked it, I just read it during the day instead of at night. 
The 13th Demon: Altar of the Spiral EyeJonathan Steel has no memory past a couple of years ago when he woke up on a beach with no clothes and no idea who he was.  He has no idea why he is able to handle a gun so well or why he can fight so quickly.  He would just like to know what his history is.
As he searches for his own memories, he is on the trail of the 13th Demon.  The story goes that when Jesus chooses his 12 disciples, Satan chooses 12 also, but the 13th one not chosen was uncontrollable and became loose cannon.  Jonathan promises a new friend that he will track down this demon and banish him to hell where he belongs.   
I found this book very interesting.  Bruce mentions several different aspects of demons that are true, but also points out several things that people think they can do, but they can't.  Sometimes we forget that they are created beings just like us and cannot take on characteristics that are unique to God only.   
This book is not as scary as I thought it would be, but there are disturbing spots in the book.  I could tell you what they are, but it is part of the journey of the book.  I enjoyed reading and discovering the things that were hidden in the book and I don't want to take that away from you. 
I can't recommend this to everyone, but not everyone would enjoy this book.  If you are one that likes Frank Peretti or books with a very strong spiritual element to them, this would be an interesting book to read.
 Happy Reading

No comments: