Friday, May 13, 2011

MIndy Starns Clark

Dear Readers,
Mindy Starns Clark has been one of my favorite authors since I read her Million Dollar Mysteries.  (See earlier review) The Amish Midwife is her latest. 


It has a  bit of mystery to it, but also an interesting tale of family and pasts that people would like to stay hidden.  Lexi Jaeger (yes I notice that is my last name;-) was adopted.  She has always known that, but she wants to learn her story. 
Just before her father passes he shares a box that they recieved with her from Lexi's birth family.  It doesn't offer many clues as to where she is from or why they gave her up.  The only other clues she has is a family friend that tells her she came from Pennsylvania. 
With very little information, but a want to find her "kin," Lexi sets off to Lancaster county to see if she can find her birth family.  There are many road blocks, with the family involved being the biggest. 
book title front 
Lexi isn't sure she will ever figure it out, but she is determed to find out as much as she can.  When help comes from an unexpected sorce, Lexi starts getting answers to long unanswered questions.
As most of us know that the Amish live by using the "forgive and forget" belief.  We all got to experience this as we watched the horrible murders of the Amish girls a couple of years ago.  I have often wondered about that and how it works in different circumstances.  Does that mean they don't believe in jail or pressing charges? 
In this book Mindy approaches the issue a bit.  There are people that know the answers to the questions that Lexi keeps asking, but they are not telling.  They seem to have only a couple of answers to her questions.  Either " It is not my place to tell." or "Forgive and Forget."  Neither answer helps Lexi in her very real need to know who her parents are.  Is either answer a good one in this case?  I found myself thinking it wasn't.  You can read the story and let me know what you thought.  If I go any farther with this thinking I will giving half the story away and that is no fun.
So instead let me just say...
Happy Reading

No comments: