Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Meg Moseley

Dear Readers,
Sometimes I get handed/mailed books by reps of the publishing house.  Their job is to sell me the book and to do so with the best possible spin they can.  Some are very good at it and some not so much.  It doesn't really matter as I usually try to form my own opinion by reading it.  I do take into consideration what they say, but I try not to let what they say color what I am reading.
When Sparrows Fall by Meg Moseley is one the rep got right.  It is a very well written novel by a new author who I have high hopes for.  The story itself reminded me a bit of a Linda Nichols or an Ann Tatlock book.  It was just a good read. 
Miranda dreams of freedom.  Freedom to raise her children as she wants, freedom to take pictures and sell them to help her family, freedom to make her own decisions.
Jack is a bachelor after his wife left.  He knows little or nothing about raising children, so when his late brother's son, Timothy, calls to tell him he is the guardian of him and his siblings, Jack is a bit surprised and bewildered.  He was estranged from his brother before he passed away and is slightly surprised that Carl's widow would name him guardian.
Two very hurting and broken people who need each other are thrust together when Miranda asks God for a sign that he doesn't want her to move with the abusive church she has belonged to.   Jack comes to help with the kids while Miranda is recovering from a fall.  He is shocked to find a family that is barely in the 20th century let alone the 21st.  They dress in large baggy dresses for the girls and the boys all wear button shirts and khaki pants or jeans.  Woman are subservient to the men and are not even allowed to vote.  Jack believes it is his mission to 'save' the family even if they don't want him to.
The problem is the secrets they are both keeping.  Will it be something that they can overcome?  Can they learn to trust each other enough to share the secrets with one another?  Or will their secrets destroy their budding relationship?
I read this over the beginning of the week and enjoyed every minute of it.  I found myself getting frustrated with Miranda, but also understanding where she came from.  Jack is a quirky funny guy and I think everyone should have someone like him in their lives.  He is self dubbed a 'seeker of the truth'  even when he was unwilling to share his own 'truth' with anyone.  Of course the children are lovable and I wanted to take them all home with me.  Martha was maybe my favorite, but then again the archangels were to cute to ever stay mad at (You will have to read the book to find out why they are named that;-).   
Mostly I just want to say this is just one of those books that you can just sit and enjoy, so treat yourself to a good book and pull up your rocker and read to your hearts content.

Happy Reading

No comments: