Thursday, November 5, 2015

Mindy Starns Clark and Leslie Gould

Dear Readers,

I was eager to get started on My Brother’s Crown by Mindy Starns Clark and Leslie Gould.  Mindy is one of those authors for me that cannot write enough books to keep me happy. Personally I believe she should be releasing at least one book a month just for me. J  Okay that is not reasonable, but boy that would be nice.

With two different storylines going, My Brother’s Crown is a fascinating read.  The first storyline is set in France during the 1600’s.  At that time France has a Catholic King and he is determined to rid the country of the Huguenots, either by them becoming Catholic or death.  The persecution starts out slow, with harassment and them losing their sense of security.  Then it steps up to losing homes and places of business.  Finally the threat of death enters the picture and The Huguenots start to flee the country.  Especially Paris. 

Catherine knows her brother is up to something.  He wants to protect her from all the dangers being a Huguenot entails, but is he putting the whole family at risk by not wanting to leave the country or at least move them to the safer countryside?

The contemporary story is about Renee, who is a direct descendant of Catherine's.  Her family has a small book that Renee believes holds a mystery.  She wants to solve the mystery before the family donates it to a national museum.  What she finds out may change her and her family forever.

I love learning new things about world history in my reading.  I have said often, either our schools don't teach enough about world history or I was sleeping a lot in class.  I had no idea all the things happened with the Huguenots.  So not only am I learning something new, but I am enjoying a wonderful story.  I am already looking forward to the next book in the series.  I really have no idea whether it continues the story of Catherine and Renee or if it will carry on a different story, but I just want to read it.  


Happy Reading, 

No comments: