Friday, July 20, 2012

Mindy Starns Clark


Dear Readers,
Most of you know that I am not a huge fan of “Anniversary books.”  You know which ones I mean, the Anniversary of the end of the Civil war meant there was suddenly a bunch of books about the civil war, the anniversary of 9-11 meant there was suddenly a bunch of books about 9-11.  So with the 100 year anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic there has been a number of fiction books out this year. 
Echoes of  TitanicMost of you also know that I really like Mindy Starns Clark and the books/mysteries she writes.  So when her book The Echoes of Titanic hit the shelves I was in a bit of a dilemma, do I read it or not.  Well of course I did and I am glad I did.  Of course the boat still sinks and some survive and some don’t, but there was still a good mystery to go with the book and that I really liked.
Kelsey’s beloved Grandmother survived the sinking of the Titanic and started a business, which she has left as a legacy to her family.  Kelsey has been training to take the helm and with her father’s stroke she will need to step in soon.  During the ceremony which is a bit of PR, a distant relative stands up and tells the world, that Adelle was not the one to survive, but her cousin and she pretended to be Adelle just so she could inherit the family money.
With this facing her and a hostile takeover Kelsey needs to race against time to save both her Grandmother’s name and the family business.  Will she be able to find the bonds that could save the company or will everything fall apart before she can even make her mark on the business world? 
To be honest I wasn’t sure I was going to like this book, but I really did.  I shouldn’t have been surprised because it is Mindy writing it and I really like her books.  I guess that taught me something, never doubt a favorite author, they are a favorite for a reason.  J
I read this on vacation and would recommend it as a good summer read.  It kept me interested but was easy to pick up after I had to lay it down.
Happy Reading

2 comments:

Lynda Lee Schab said...

I became a fan of Mindy's with her Million Dollar Mystery series. I reviewed Echoes of Titanic for FaithfulReader.com, and I gave it a great review. Highly enjoyed it (but not quite as much as that first series). :-)

Chris Jager - Baker Book House-fiction buyer said...

I agree Lynda. Her Million Dollar Mystery series is very good and a couple of her stand alones are very enjoyable.