Thursday, March 22, 2012

R.J. Larson


Dear Readers,
A few weeks ago I read a book that I had declared would probably be my book of the year for 2012.  The publishing houses and authors must have taken that as a challenge as I have since read two other books that could easily make it to the top of the list.  What a wonderful problem to have!
Prophet by R.J. Larson has been promoted several different ways to me.  The one that made me hesitant on it was that they were saying it is for fans of the Hunger Games.  I have always had a problem with books that compare themselves to classics or say they are great for fans of...  I always figure it takes time to prove themselves first. 
Now personally I can’t speak to whether or not it is as good as or better than the Hunger GamesProphet, R. J. Larson, 978-0-7642-0971-0 books as I have not read them.  But I did ask my daughter, who has read them, to read this book and let me know what she thought.  I will simply say, she loved it and is not happy that she has to wait until later this year for book number 2 to release and then wait until next year for book 3. 
When Ela accepts the Infinite’s call to be his Prophet she knows it is with lots of risks involved, as the saying goes, “A silver-haired prophet has failed.”  She doesn’t understand why he would want her.  She is undignified, kind of clumsy, bad tempered and only 17.  Who will listen to her anyways?  She is sure that no one will and that she will be killed instantly by the first group of people she confronts with the Infinite’s warning.  
Now most of that you can find on the back of the book, but to talk about any more will give away a lot of the story.  Because this story flows so well and each item hinges on what happens in the story before, I really can’t talk about it as it won’t make sense without having to tell you most of the story.  It is frustrating for me.  This might have to be one of those times I say, ‘trust me on this book, it is that good.”
Oh let me say this though – I would have gotten in line for a destroyer. 
Happy Reading

No comments: