Thursday, March 1, 2012

Julie Cantrell

Dear Readers,
I can't tell you how many times fellow readers will say to me, "you have got to read this book."   Sometimes that works out very well, like with The Help.  Other times is doesn't work out so well and no I am not going to mention any names here. 
Into the Free by Julie Cantrell is one I kept hearing about from people.  I had a chance to get it free and thought, "what the heck, let’s try it."   I am so glad I did!  I could hardly lay the thing down.  The writing is rich, the characters are very three dimensional, the setting fits the story line so very well.  It all works together perfectly.
It is 1936 in Mississippi and Millie longs to join the gypsies to run away from her parents.  Her father is only home part time and very abusive to her mother.  Her mother was addicted to drugs and suffers from depression.  Millie just longs for freedom to be who she wants to be.  She just doesn't know how to leave those she loves behind.
I don’t want to say any more as I don’t want to take away from the enjoyment of this story.  There are some twists and turns that I wasn’t sure I expected.  Nothing like a mystery, but things that make life, life.  Things that are not on our radar but happen anyways.  
I found myself cheering Millie on and wanting her to survive everything thrown at her.  I also found myself disgusted  with some of the choices she made.   I dare you not to fall in love with Millie and want to take her home with you. 
Happy Reading,
P.S. this book is available at Baker Book House or by request at bakerbookstore.com

No comments: