Thursday, March 15, 2012

Jill Eileen Smith

Dear Readers,
Jill Eileen Smith bravely took on the wives of David in her wonderful series that include Michal, Abigail and Bathsheba.  This time she is taking on the father of the Jewish faith.  In Sarai she puts a face on Abram and Sarai.   Biblical fiction of this type helps me relate more to those beloved people of the Bible and puts a face on their stories.
Sarai, Jill Eileen Smith, 978-0-8007-3429-9Abram promised Sarai his heart and she promised him a son.  That is the tag line on the back of the book.  I guess I never really thought about it, but one of the things that was part of Sarai’s life is that she was not worth anything if she was unable to produce children, especially sons. Her husband could tell her that he loved her, but if he decided he could take another wife to get those sons.   Abram didn’t.  How very interesting.
I really don’t need to highlight any other part of their story as most of us have heard of Abram and Sarai even if you don’t read the Bible much.  He is considered the father of three of the major religions of the world.  The Jews, the Muslims, and the Christians all claim him as the father of their faith and yet he only loved one woman.   Interesting.
I am going to be honest, I never really thought about that much.  God promised Abram long before Isaac was born that He would make a great nation of him and his descendants.  Abram believed and followed him.  I really do wonder how that conversation went.   Sarai – “You heard what?  From who?  Now you want to leave home and family?”  I know how that would have gone at my house.  J
Anyways, I really did enjoy this story and it is one that makes for a great read.  It is a great way to refresh the telling of an old, old story. 
Happy Reading
P.S. this book is available in the store or by request at bakerbookstore.com

No comments: