Thursday, September 1, 2011

Francine Rivers


Dear Readers,
This is an anniversary that we don't celebrate in the Fiction dept. very often.  The shelf life of a fiction book is very short and right now it is the shortest it has ever been.  I see book #1 of series go out of print within months of the last book of the series being printed.  Ebooks have changed that a bit and older books are once again available for reading, good or bad. 
For an fiction book to still be in print from 20 years ago is very rare.  For it to be a book that isn't even considered a classic is even rarer, but Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers is celebrating its 20th straight year in print. 
 
If you have not ever read this book, you need to.  In fact if you go to http://waterbrookmultnomah.com/redeeminglove/ you can share your story about the first time you read it and maybe you will win a trip to San Fransico. 
I don't have much of a story to tell about the first time I read it, but I will say I didn't really plan on reading it because the orginal cover looked too much like a Harlequin romance and as most of you know that is not my favorite genre.  Thankfully there was a fellow employee who finally talked me into reading it.  Her exact words were, "Don't let the cover fool you."  Boy was she right.  That cover did not fit the book.  My favorite cover is still the one from a couple of years ago, it was the brown cover that looked more historical.  That is the cover that is on the book I have on my shelf, but don't loan out.  In fact if anyone wants to borrow it I go buy one instead. 
This book is a heart story.  It speaks to your heart and echoes the words that God whispers to us everyday of our lives.  "You are loved."  I have heard many many interesting stories about this book, it is one of the privileges of working in a bookstore.  They are each so very beautiful and wonderful.  I thank each one of you that have shared your stories. 
I remember one more than any others.  There was a lady who came into the fiction dept. several times a month.  She loved reading and really only wanted to read the best.  I had been trying to get her to read Redeeming Love several times and for some reason couldn't talk her into it.  I even tried my old trick of if you read it and don't like it bring it back and I will not only buy it back but also buy you another book for free (I have never had to buy anyone a different book).  She kept saying no, finally I brought in a copy I had at home and told her that this was my copy along with the spaghetti stains from where I stood at the stove stirring supper while reading. 
That was the trick and she took it home with her that night.  Like so many others she read it in one night and was back in the store the next morning.  With tears in her eyes she shared about the abuse in her past, which she had not shared with anyone else yet (she has since received counseling).  WOW, that just blew me away.  But that is the kind of book it is. 
If you haven't read it please do, if you have read it make sure you share it with someone and then you can both talk and share afterwards. 
Happy Reading

No comments: