Saturday, September 17, 2011

Sandra Byrd

Dear Readers,
Ask yourself, how much do you know about Anne Boleyn?  So whatever that amount is, I probably knew less.  I knew she was one of King Henry the VIII.  I knew she didn't have any sons and I knew she was not always viewed in a postive light.  Yup that is about it.
To Die For by Sandra Byrd made me want to learn more about her.  I found out that she really did refuse to sleep with King Henry before she married him, which led to the divorce between him and his first wife.  It also led to the offical break between the church of England and the church of Rome.  Now whether or not she was a woman conniving to be queen, or just a young woman caught up in a power play by those who wanted to win the King's favor, we may never know.  I think that will be debated forever.
 To Die For: A Novel of Anne Boleyn, , n9781439183113
I have to admit that there is a bit of an ironic story as to why I started this book.  I got caught waiting unexpectedly and this book was the only one I had with me at that time.  I figured I might as well start it even though I was in the middle of one at home already.  I am glad I did as it was a very interesting read.  I got caught up in the story line right away even though it is not my favorite time in history.  Too many people behaving badly and using scripture to justify their actions (Oh wait, that is most of history).
I was very curious about the book as this seemed like a very different type of genre for Sandra.  Everything I had seen or read from her had been a light romance, good but this subject matter didn't seem to fit that, and teen books.  Those I have not had the pleasure of reading, but I hear are very good. 
Sandra has done her research and you can tell.  She made a couple of tweaks to make it a little less confusing for the reader (I am glad she did), but by her discriptions of the dress, parties and houses/court you can almost imagine being there. 
The story is told through the eyes of Anne's best friend.  They grew up next door to each other and have similiar experiences, but Anne's family is better off and so Meg watches her friend recieve many more offers to the royal court.   Once Anne is brought to court because she catches Henry's eye, she takes Meg along as one of her ladies. 
This is maybe why the story is so compelling, this is a story of someone who loves her friend, but watches her over and over again make bad choices.  How do you question a friend who is really, as seen by society, your better?  Meg is a loyal friend all the way to the end. 
Happy Reading

1 comment:

Sandra Byrd said...

Thank you for taking the time to read and review my book, Chris. I truly appreciate it!