Thursday, June 2, 2011

Gilbert Morris

Dear Readers,
Today's Christian fiction writers owe a big debt to Gilbert Morris and other authors that led the way to what we now know as the Christian fiction market.  Gilbert Morris was one of the leaders in the market long before the Left Behind books brought the market into the spotlight.  The earliest I could find was a book published in 1984 - Delaney I could find little or no information on this book, but it actually looks like it might be an earlier addition of his Dani Ross Mysteries.  I can't tell for sure, but the cover reminds me of that, so I am going to make that conclusion (if you know differently let me know).
The Crossing, Last Cavaliers Series #1 
GIlbert is writing about what he does best.  History.  He sets The Crossing, book one of the The Last Cavaliers, during the Civil War.  He does an interesting job of mixing fictional characters and real historical figures throughout the story.  He uses Stonewall Jackson as one of his main characters and it is a different look at this bigger than life Civil War hero. 
Yancy is the other main character that he uses.  Yancy is a young man who is brought back to the world of the Amish when his father decides to return home after Yancy's mother passes.  Yancy is just not cut out to be in the Amish order.  He has trouble with all the rules and one of his biggest problems with the Amish is the "girly" straw hat the men are asked to wear.  He decides for the sake of his family to take a job elsewhere and ends up workng for Andrew Jackson.  Andrew sees that Yancy is fine military material and asks him is he would like to join the Virginia Military Academy.  The rest is, as they say, history (no pun intended).
I have read many different series by Gilbert.  Historical, contemporary, mystery, etc... and have liked them all.  I will admit that I did not read all 40 of the Winslow series.  I think I made it all the way up to the Civil War in that series, but I never finished it.  I loved the Dani Ross series and think that ended too quickly and the Cat's Pajama's series was loads of fun to read.  I enjoyed this book and I learned about what it was like during a part of America's history that has always interested me.  I think what I like the most about Gilbert's historical series is you can see and feel Gilbert's great love for his country and how he loves to tell everyone about how unique our story is.
For you history buffs this is a good read, but for anyone looking for an interesting story, this will fit that bill very easily.
Happy Reading

No comments: