Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Patti Hill


Dear Readers.
I have to admit that I didn't think I would like The Queen of Sleepy Eye by Patti Hill as much as I did. I totally enjoyed the story and even found myself a little sad that the story ended.
During the summer of 1975, Amy and her not so traditional mother head on a road trip to California so Amy can finally find the freedom from her mother. That is the only problem with this trip, Mom insisted in coming along.

When Mom's beloved Pontiac Bonneville Sports Coupe loses it's tranmission, they are stuck in the small town of Cordial. Colorado. Francie, mom, is ok with this and ready to make the best of it. She finds a job, strikes up a friendship and even finds a boyfriend, of course that is the problem. Mom isn't acting like she wants to leave and Amy can't wait to leave.

When Franie takes a job at the local funeral home Amy is sure that she will never see California. Not only is she stuck in this one horse town, she now has to spend her days and nights answering the death calls, as Mrs. Clancy so delicately puts it. How will they ever get a chance to leave? Will it ever work out and will Amy leave even if her mother doesn't want to?

Susan May Warren is quoted as saying this about the book, "More than a coming-of-age tale, it's about life and loss, love and forgiveness. and discovering there is more to the world than what we see." She is correct. It is one of those books you have to read to really experience it. I know that sounds funny, but this is a book you may not pick up on your own, but I recomend it to all who are looking for something a little different.

Patti has really found her stride with this book. I love the desciptions in it, you can almost feel the summer heat rising from the book just by the word pictures. Even the hippie commune is well pictured and I think I would be able to find this little town, just by how Patti paints it in words.

Happy Reading

No comments: