Thursday, May 2, 2013

Gina Holmes

Dear Readers,
I wanted to read Gina Holmes’ book Wings of Glass as soon as it came out, but because I was in the middle of a couple other books at the time, it had to wait.  I can’t say I was sorry to have to wait because it was great to anticipate what I was going to read. Yet, I could hardly stand to wait to read it either.
Penny saw Trent as a chance to get away from her abusive father, but it turned out to be “going from the frying pan into the fire.” Trent was a prince while dating; he called her beautiful, made sure she understood she was his girl, stood up to her father and stole her away.   Penny thought those were all signs of someone who loved her and wanted to take care of her, when it just meant that he wanted to control her and keep her under his thumb.
When Trent is hurt in an accident it forces him to allow Penny to get a job to support the family.  Not only does she have a job for the first time in her life, she starts to find herself.  With the two friends she makes while cleaning houses helping her, she finds her backbone to stand up for herself and to be able to live and laugh.
I am not sure which of the two women who support and help Penny I loved the most, Fatimah or Callie May. They are wonderful, funny, and gentle with Penny.  They each have their own baggage and yet want to help Penny get out of a situation that is hurting her.  They never once tell Penny she is not worth “saving” just because most of the men in her life have told her she was worthless. They love her unconditionally.   On the copy on the back of the book it says “… and lend her their backbones just long enough for her to find her own.”  What a wonderful way to put that.
It is not a light read and yet it has funny moments.  I know there were a couple of times I was reading and I could feel myself reacting emotionally with Penny because of the way Trent was acting or that he was due home soon and supper wasn’t ready or the house might not be clean enough.  To be able to put your reader into the emotions of the character is a wonderful thing an author can do, it makes that story so much more to savor.
Happy Reading.

No comments: