Thursday, May 16, 2013

Angela Hunt

Dear Readers,
I was hoping to have my summer reading suggests for you today.  That did happen in that I am still trying to get it written, but all the really good books that have come out in the past months, the list kept getting longer and longer.  So hopefully by next week I will have it all set and ready for you.  Sorry for the delay.
Instead I just wanted to talk about a book that I read a few years ago called the Shadow Women by Angel Hunt.  I was reminded of it a couple different ways in recent weeks.  First when I saw it sitting on the shelves in the used book department.  I loved the book when I read it back in 2002 and have mentioned it to a few people when I saw it on the shelves back there.  Secondly because of another book I am reading right now that is causing a little stir in the fiction market because of who and what it is about.  
Shadow Women is the story of the women who were part of Moses’ life.  His mother, sister and wife, and it is not necessarily the story you would expect.  While Angela did a great job sticking to the Biblical story, she also did a great job at making sure we see Moses as a human also.  He did great things and followed God’s plan for his life, and yet wasn’t perfect.  He struggled with many different parts of his life. 
One part of his story I have often wondered about is his royal upbringing.  What was it like for him in the palace of Egypt?  How soon did he know that he was adopted?  All questions I would like to ask him someday, but in the mean time it was interesting to speculate with Angela and try to understand more about Moses and the women who loved him.
I am sorry to say the book itself if out of print and I am unable to order you a copy, but if you are quick, I have one used copy here.

Happy Reading

No comments: