Thursday, September 6, 2012

Mesu Andrews

Dear Readers,
How is it that no matter how hard you try, good books fall through the cracks and don’t get read.  Love’s Sacred Song by Mesu Andrews is one of those books.  I meant to read it right after a came out as I was so excited to see it.  Her first book was the one I picked for my favorite last year which made me want to read this one.  Things just kept coming up and I never got a chance to read it.  Thankfully that has changed.
I can remember wondering about what type of woman it would take to make Solomon write such a beautiful love poem to her.  Solomon is rich beyond belief, has more wives than days of the year and is considered by most to be the wisest man to ever live.  So why was that one woman the one he wrote about?
When Israel’s beloved Warrior King dies, his son Solomon inherits a kingdom that is at peace outside its borders, but there is turmoil inside.  The northern tribes feel like they have been insulted and are ready to march on Jerusalem.   Arialah’s father, Jehoshaphat, is sure that he has the solution.  His daughter as a treaty bride, but what does a simple shepherd’s daughter know about living in the royal palace?
I know I have mentioned this before, I love these books that put faces on people from the Bible.  Love's Sacred Song, Mesu Andrews, 978-0-8007-3408-4Sometimes we forget those in the Bible had real needs and wants.  They were people who had faults and problems, even when they were a King and very wise.   What was Solomon like as a young man?  What was it like to step into his father’s shoes after he passed away?  What was it like to be king when you knew your brothers wanted you dead?  
I could go on and as with the other Biblical fiction I know this is not a factual story, just one based on the stories the Bible tells us and the speculation based on some historical facts.  But it does help me remember that they are after all human.
Happy Reading

No comments: