Saturday, July 16, 2011

Ronie Kendig

Dear Readers,
One of the genres that I thought the Christian fiction market has long been lacking is a good spy novelist.  There have been many good attempts, but the books themselves seem to always bog down in the characters' problems with being a spy and a Christian at the same time.  This is not what the fans of Robert Ludlem and Tom Clancy are looking for.  We are looking for a fast-paced, keep us interested type book. 
Imagine my surprise in finding this type of book from one of the newest publishing houses to enter the fiction market.  Abingdon press entered the Christian fiction pool in just the last year or so and they are making quite a ripple.  In fact I have been telling readers that if the book is from Abingdon it is probably a good read. 
Dead Reckoning by Ronie Kendig was one of the first fiction books published by Abingdon and I am not exactly sure why I never got it read before this.  It could be as simple as the cover was trying too hard to be intriguing or maybe because I didn't get a free copy, who really knows, but whatever it was, I am glad I got a chance read it.
Shiloh Blake is doing exactly what she wants to do.  She is on an archaeological dive just off the coast of India.  Her best friend Kahlid is one of the dive team and Shiloh has made a couple very interesting discoveries.  One of them being a canister that doesn't really make sense to her.  That is until the bodies start falling in the water when their ship is attacked. 
Whether Shiloh wants to be or not, she is thrust into the middle of an international nuclear clash.  She knows that she is in danger and she needs to run for her life, but who can she trust?  Those that seem to want the best for her may actually be the ones putting her in the most danger.
This is a fast paced book.  All (nearly) 500 pages kept my interest.  I am going to say there was a couple different times that something did make me roll my eyes, but over all it was a very good read.  Even though Ronie is a woman author I feel like men will enjoy this very good spy novel. 
Happy Reading

No comments: