Thursday, July 21, 2011

MaryBeth Whalen

Dear Readers,
I have been waiting to read MaryBeth Whalen's newest book She Makes it Look Easy.  I wanted to wait for a chance to just enjoy the book and relax through it all.  This past weekend was that chance.  It was worth the wait, but I also wish I had been able to read it earlier.
Ariel Baxter thinks she can become the perfect wife and mother, it just takes a bit of work.  When her family moves into the Essex Falls neighborhood, Ariel think she is almost there.  Once she meets her "backyard" neighbor she just knows she will be able to get She Makes It Look Easy: A Novel, , n9780781403702her life on track.
Justine's life looks perfect.  She is ultra-organized, her girls are always in cute, clean and pressed dresses.  She has a handsome husband who adores her and she never seems to forget anything.  Ariel wants to be just like her, in fact she can't wait to learn how to do it herself and Justine is the perfect person to do it.  Or so it would seem.
I really want to say more about the plot line, but can't as that would take away from your enjoyment of reading it.   
For those that remember you know I wasn't all the excited about reading MaryBeth's first book, The Mailbox, and then quickly fell in love with it.  I didn't have the "not wanting to read it" problem this time.  I so enjoyed this book that I didn't want it to end.  The characters are people that I would want to hang out with and get to know.  They are people who live in our own neighborhoods and go to our churches. 
This is not a light read.  It deals with several major issues, but it is not such a heavy book that makes you feel like MaryBeth is trying to teach you something.   It does in fact have several times that you might laugh out loud because it is a 'real' life book.  I could almost move into that neighborhood except I am not huge on neighborhood associations. 
This is one of those books that would lend itself well to a book club read or just a quiet read at the beach or sitting by the pool.
Happy Reading

2 comments:

Lynda Lee Schab said...

I am supposed to be getting this book to review. Am really looking forward to it!

Chris Jager - Baker Book House-fiction buyer said...

I am pretty sure you will like it. Let me know what you think Lynda.