Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Kristin Hannah

Dear Readers,
Image result for the nightingale by kristin hannahThis review has a couple different things about it.  First it is for a book I wouldn't normally carry here in the store, but just might now.  Secondly it is an older book.   The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah released back in 2015 but I have just begun to hear about it now.  The reviews I was getting from readers I know were overwhelming. When I had 3 people ask me about it in one day I decided to check it out.  All I can say is wow!
I have read more WWII books than I can remember this past couple of years.  I really didn't think there would be much difference in this one.  I was very wrong.  If I can say it once, I will repeat myself a couple times, read this book.  If you are interested in WWII this is a good read, if you just like a good story, READ THIS BOOK.  
I became emotionally attached to the characters, not so much that it made me cry, but I did find myself arguing with them and talking to them as if they were sitting beside me.  I am sure that is why I found this book so good.  The characters could easily been my family and friends.  
Vianne lives in the quiet little town of Carriveau, France.  When WWII arrives at France's doorstep Vianne's beloved husband goes to battle for their country.  Instead of the expected quick finish to the war, he is imprisoned along with many of the soldiers and Vianne is left to survive the war herself.  
Isabelle, Vianne's rebellious sister, is a different matter.  She is ready to fight herself.  Though only 18 at the start of the war, she quickly grows up and is willing to do whatever it takes to get the Germans out of France.  Even at the risk of her own life.  
That is a short look at what is the basis of this book, but the story is so much more than that.  I don't want to say more as you should discover it for yourself, just as I did.  Maybe that is what I loved about this book is how much stayed hidden until found by reading it.  The Nightingale was not at all what I expected, but so much more.  Do yourself a favor and go find a copy and go fight a few battles in France. 
Happy Reading, 

No comments: