Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Rachel McMillan

Dear Readers,

The Bachelor Girl's Guide to Murder by Rachel McMillan is the perfect book for summer reading.  It is funny and yet has an intriguing mystery to it. I am not sure what I expected when this cute little book arrived on my shelves here at the store, but it turned into loads of fun.


It is 1910 in Toronto (I know not a setting you find a lot of fiction book set in) and Merinda and Jem are launching their own business.  Their own detective agency.  They are learning the ropes and making friends with police constable Jasper Forth and reporter Ray DeLuca (whom Jem maybe willing to give up her bachelor ways for) when they become caught up in the deaths of young women in the cities darkside.

I really did like the mystery part of this book and am looking forward to the second of the series, but I have to admit, that I really enjoyed the sense of humor in the book.  Rachel must have had a wonderful time writing this.  Her sense of fun and laughter shines through and it makes the book that much more pleasurable to read.

I don't want to give any plot lines away, but I have to admit laughing out loud several times and the scene where Merinda and Jem are learning to dress and walk like a man, oh my goodness, I could picture that in my head and it still makes me giggle when I try to talk to others about it.

The quotes at the beginning of the chapters are the best.  If there are real or just made up doesn't matter, just make sure you read them as they add to the enjoyment of reading because it gives you the feel for the time in history the book is writing.  That is all I will say on that subject as I don't want to give to many clues and want you to find them on your own.

If you have a quiet summer afternoon or evening (of course mornings are okay also) this book is a great way to pass the time.

Happy Reading,

No comments: