Thursday, August 8, 2013

Beth Webb Hart

 
Dear Readers,
Anytime I read a book set in the low country of South Carolina I feel like I am reading about home.   I love west Michigan, having grown up here and raised my family here, but I do miss living in South Carolina and all the smells, sounds and the feel of the area.  I am sure that is part of the reason I love Beth Webb Hart’s book, of course the other reason is they are so good to read.
Moon Over Edisto is Beth’s newest release, but know it came out in February of this year. I just kind of put if off to read until that perfect moment.  I do love reading them in the middle of the winter because of Beth usually writing about the hot summer days in SC, but for some reason I felt it necessary to read this one in the middle of our July heat wave.
Mary Ellen had a beautiful life.  Her husband and daughters made for the perfect family.  They lived in Charleston, but vacationed on the shores of the Atlantic on the Island of Edisto.  What more could one woman ask for.  That is until the one summer when it all fell apart. 
Mary Ellen struggles to understand where her picture perfect family went.  Meg is over controlling.  Julia ran away from the Island and all its memories with the idea that she would never return to it again.
I have vacationed on Edisto Island a couple of times and each time it is a wonderful place to be.  The pace is slower and because it is a bit out of range, cells phones don’t always work and internet connection could be a bit spotty.  But that is what adds to the charm of the island, you are truly getting away from life and no one who lives on the island wants it any different.
This book fits that perfectly, it is one that is no hurry to get anywhere and yet as you drift along the storyline develops so that you are drawn in and never want to leave.  The characters are well written and very 3 dimensional.  They could easily be part of any of our families.  This make it easy to relate to what they are going through and yet you can’t wait to see how they will recover from their past.
Happy Reading

No comments: