Monday, February 20, 2012

New Releases February 13th - 17th

Dear Readers,

Last week I mentioned that I had 4 books that I really really wanted to read.  I am just over half way with the first one.  It is pretty strange and I think it just took an odd twist.  I am hoping it doesn't get to the point where it is just so unbelievable that I won't enjoy it. 
That is the problem with writing sci-fi/fantasy/speculative fiction.  While you are writing a book about something that doesn't actually exist, it still has to be believable or you will lose your reader.  It isn't that we have to believe this new world that was created by the writer has to exist, but we need to believe it can. 
Time travel became very believable in the book Time Machine by H.G. Wells.  Why?  Because he created something and someplace that the reader could believe in.  Scary as it was, it was a place we could think existed.   I muddled and struggled and slowly read my way through Tolkein's The Lord of the Rings series.  Why did I stick with it?  Because I could imagine the land and time in my head and I could believe it had happened. 

I have been to many different places created by writers that are just too tiresome to keep reading about because the lands themselves are way too complicated.   Nothing is worse than a badly written Sci-Fi book.  I am hoping that this one doesn't do that between where I am now and the end of the book
Happy Reading


The Messenger - Siri Mitchell - In a Time of War can two unlikely heroes find the courage to act?

Sarai - Jill Eileen Smith - He was promised a nation, she couldn't even give him a son.  The story of Abraham and Sarah.

Gone to Ground - Brandilyn Collins - 6 woman in Amaryllis Mississippi have been murdered.  3 other woman are sure they know who is commeting the crimes, but they each suspect some one different.

Far from Here - Nicole Baart - A story of love and loss, and ultimately starting over, Far From Here explores the dynamics of intimacy and the potentially devastating consequences of the little white lies we tell the ones we love.

Beauty for Ashes - Dorothy Love - She's a beautiful young widow. He's a Southern gentleman with a thirst for adventure. Both need a place to call home.

The Resurrection of Nat Turner - The Testimony - Sharon Ewell Foster - Sparked by an indigo sun, Nat Turner stormed into history with a sword in one hand and a Bible in the other.

The Last Plea Bargain - Randy Singer - Can one case actually bring the justice system to a halt?

Heart Echoes - Sally John - Only an Eartyquake could shatter the walls she's built.  Book #3 in the Side Roads series.

Beyond the Farthest Star - Brodie and Brock Thoene - A fracture Family, A Dangerous Secret, and A Stunning Transformation.  Based on the Screenplay written by Andrew Librizzi.

Loves Sacred Song - Mesu Andrews - Who was the young woman that inspired the Song of Songs?

P.S. These book are available in at Baker Book House or by request at bakerbookstore.com

No comments: