Thursday, February 16, 2012

Lisa Wingate

Dear Readers,
I am going to be completely honest with you all.  I had a terrible time getting into this book.  I am not sure what it was, but it just wasn't hitting a chord with me.  I struggled with the start of it, but am very glad I stuck with it. 
Blue Moon Bay by Lisa Wingate is the second book in the Moses Lake series.  I use the word series very loosely here as the two books (Larkspur Cove is the first one) have very little to do with each other.  The background characters are who you will remember the most from the first one with the main characters coming and going as part of the natural part of the community. 
Blue Moon Bay, , bpg9780764208225Heather fled Moses Lake as soon as it was legally okay for her to go.  She has not been back since and has no desire to return now.  Her family has forced her to revisit the place of her worst memories.  She has been working on a deal with her boyfriend’s brokering firm to buy her Uncle's home and land.  In return her architecture firm gets to help design the new building that will be going in and she may get lead architect.  Everything is looking good, that is until her mother changes her mind and meddles in the sale.
Heather flies into town thinking she will be back in time to spend Valentine’s Day with her boyfriend. 5 days, that should be enough time to put everything in motion again and save her job.   When she arrives in town no one seems to want to talk to her about why they are stalling the sale.  Her brother is there and he seems to think he is going to open a bed and breakfast, but Heather knows he has never finished anything in his life including college.  So how can he think he is going to run a resort? 
Then there is that guy from high school, the one Heather had the crush on.  He is still in town and even better looking than ever.  Could things get any worse? 
Like I said, I struggled with the beginning of the book.  I am thinking I had a hard time warming up to Heather herself.  She is very focused and doesn’t seem to care about anything or anyone except herself.  She is probably someone that if I met her, she would be a hard one to get to know or even like and that may have been why.  Just like I said earlier I also am glad I did finish the book.  It is a good story and Heather’s story is interesting.  It just took me a while to warm up to her.
Just rest assured that if you liked Lisa Wingate’s other books you will like this one.  Her writing style is consistent and very good.  She develops her characters well and that is why I am sure that I liked the end of the book.  I was just anxious to like Heather and Lisa knew I needed to understand her more than I would like her.
Happy Reading.

3 comments:

Diane said...

Thanks for your honest thoughts and the book review. hugs and have a great week! :O)

Lynda Lee Schab said...

I really enjoy Lisa Wingate and am waiting for my review copy of this book. The storyline sounds great and I look forward to reading it. It will be interesting to see how my thoughts compare with yours. Thanks for the review.

Chris Jager - Baker Book House-fiction buyer said...

Thanks Diane


I look forward to hearing what you have to Lynda.