Thursday, October 6, 2011

Debbie Viguie'

Dear Readers,
I have not read the Twilight books.  Not interested either.  I have read a couple of Ann Rice's books and enjoyed them, but they are pretty dark and creepy.  Eric Wilson's Jerusalem's Undead series was action packed and a fun read.  But over all Vampire books are not my thing.  Too creepy and why fall in love with the "ultimate" bad boy.  He is dead for Pete's sake.
Kiss of Night by Debbie ViguiéKiss of Night by Debbie Viguie' may have changed my mind, at least a little bit.  The description of the book includes the tagline, "What would happen if a vampire truly accepted God?"  That question alone made me want to read this book.
Susan travels to Prague with the thought of only burying her beloved Grandmother.  There is something about this city that seems comfortable, but Susan doesn't know why, she has never visited there before. 
When Susan's cousin's life is endangered by a guy she goes on a date with, Susan has a strange encounter with a man who tells her that she has to save her now. 
Raphael has been seeking a relic that was stolen from him during the Crusades.  He thinks he knows where it is and he is determined to get it back, but he will need Susan's help.  How do you tell someone that you are a 'good' Vampire?  How do you get her to trust you?
So if you were to place yourself in the character's shoes during this book, you would find yourself falling for a man that says he is one of the undead.  You would also find yourself in a battle for the world and the souls of all who live.  You must right away change how you do everything because there are creatures out there that a few short days ago you didn't believe in and they are now trying to kill you. I am not sure I would be able to do that.
That leads back to the question mentioned before.  Without giving anything away, can a Vampire become a "good" Vampire and what does that mean?  I know that in some other vampire books you do have good and evil vampires, but this approaches it from a bit of a different point of view.  What does or doesn't happen when someone who is considered evil becomes a believer.  Then also add the thought, can they be forgiven?  All interesting discussion questions, but ones I better stay away from a little as I don't actually want to give anything away. 
This is book #1 of what I am led to believe is going to be a three book series.  I am looking forward to book 2 and I know my daughter is ready to read the next one also. 
Happy Reading
P.S.  I still don't understand the attraction of falling in love with a vampire

No comments: