Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Mike Duran

Dear Readers.
 
I am not a big fan of horror books.  Stephen King has never been a favorite even though he is a very good writer.  To me it just puts bad images in my head and then I don't sleep well.  I like horror movies even less, in fact the few I did watch as a teenager still have certain scences that are completely stuck in my head.
 
So The Resurrection by Mike Duran was not high on my list of books to read.  Frank Peretti's books were hard enough for me to read, so I just wasn't sure.  I am glad I did read it though.  It isn't nearly as scary as Frank's books, but still an interesting read.
 
Ruby accidentally raises a boy from the dead.  She didn't mean to, but she did and now the world knows and someone is responsible.  What will she do? 
 
Ian is ready to give up the ministry.  He is not excited about being a pastor and just doesn't care anymore.  He is sick of the people and politics in the church and he isn't even sure if he believes in God anymore.  That is until Ruby does her little trick.  Then he finds himself in the middle of a spiritual battle for his little town and all the citizens in it. 
 
There were two parts of this book that interested me.  The first being the generational sin parts of the story.  There were people years before that were willing to do anything to make their town safe.  They were so willing to do just about anything even if it meant that they sell their souls and the soul of their town to the Devil, so to speak. 
 
The second was, where do I just let things be because that is the way they are.  Where am I not confronting things because it is easier to just leave things alone and not fight against something I see as evil or wrong.  Now I am not saying that we must join every protest or campaign, but there are times we must take that stand.
 
Like I said before this is not an edge of your seat read, but it does have moments of a bit of a "ghost story" in spots.  It does have its creepy moments but nothing that kept me awake at night.  It was a good read that was a bit different than what I had been reading.
 
Happy Reading

No comments: