Friday, March 11, 2011

Ann H.Gabhart

Dear Readers,
Angel Sister by Ann Gabhart lived up to my expectations.  It is a wonderful story set during the Depression about a 14 year old girl who is trying to keep her family together. Ann has such a rich and pleasent writing style that it is just a great reading experience.  I know that sounds a bit over the top, but I so enjoy reading her.  I looked forward to reading this book from the minute I heard about it.  I first fell in love with her writing when I read her 3 book series set in the 60's.  I hate to say it is out of print now, but you can still pick up the series in our used book department.
Angel Sister: A Novel, , bpg9780800733810Kate's father is slipping away from his family as he becomes more and more dependent on alcohol.  He is fighting nightmares of World War I and the feeling of never measuring up to his family.  Kate herself is trying to do everything in her power, including prayer, to make her father want to come home at the end of the day instead of going out drinking. 
When Kate finds a little girl abandoned on the church steps, she thinks maybe things are turning around.  Lorena believes that Kate is the angel that God sent to take care of her until her mother comes back for her.  Kate knows better, but decides that if God wanted her to take care of Lorena then she will.  There are forces in town that don't think she should though, mostly both of her grandfathers.  How does a 14 year old fight against the two guys who run their little town?  With a lot of grit and gumption.
I found myself rooting for Kate the whole way through out this book.  She is a very likable character and has more spunk than most of us have our entire life.  She sees everything in black and white and doesn't completely understand the adult world yet, but she is learning fast as things in her family and town force her to grow up fast.  She is just one of the kids you wish you had been when you were younger. 
The story itself is very satisfying when you get to the end of it.  Because of being on vacation and my foot in a big boot I read this book in one day.  Which of course is probably the best way to read it, but I also know that it isn't always realistic.  You can take longer to read it, but read it you should, with a wonderful cup of coffee.
Happy Reading

No comments: