Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Suzanne Woods Fisher

Dear Readers,

I am not a big fan of Amish books. I will keep saying that even though it seems different because of how many I have reviewed lately. I think the publishing houses are trying to find the next Bev Lewis and keep asking people to help them them decide if they have or not.

The Choice by Suzanne Woods Fisher is not going to change my mind on Amish books. It is a good story and one I enjoyed reading, but it still seems to have the same formula. Boy meets Girl, one isn't Amish and they must decide what to do. Now I will admit that the most of the main characters in this story are Amish, but us Englishers do show up and mess things all up.

Carrie Weaver is ready to run away with Sol. He has been signed to play baseball for the local AAA ball team. He has a fast pitch that nobody can hit and he is ready to leave the Amish life behind. Carrie isn't so sure if she is and when her father dies she decides to stay. Carrie continues on in her life and choosing to marry Daniel to move her younger brother out of her step mothers house as the step mother seems cruel and cold. Carrie figures a loveless marriage is better than a living in a house with Esther.

Nothing goes according to plan and Carrie and Sol find their lives becoming intertwined again. Does that mean that God plans for them to be together? Carrie doesn't think so, and what about Daniel and his cousin Abel? Like I said earlier this was a good story. It is basically a love story. It throws in the Amish lifestyle, which sometimes I do envy, but I really like electricity and running water to much to give that up.

This story reminds you that what we plan may not be what God plans for us for us. What we see sometimes as not good, God is using for our best. It is a story of trust and forgiveness. Of letting go and not keeping secrets.

No comments: