Monday, November 9, 2009

Michael Landon Jr and Cindy Kelly


Dear Readers,

What do you do with a book you weren't prepared to like, but did and I still can't figure out why. The Silent Gift by Michael Landon Jr. and Cindy Kelley is that book for me. I can't really tell you why I liked it, but like it I did. In fact I had a hard time putting it down several times.

Mary and her son Patrick flee their home and the abusive relationship with Jerry, their husband/father. Mary finds out Jerry is planning on leaving her and he has taken all their savings out of the bank. She steals the money, and she and Patrick jump in a delivery truck headed to Chicago, with no plan other than to get out of town.

The money is lost and they find themselves staying at the Salvation Army shelter. Shortly after, Mary discovers Patrick has a special gift, one that can only have come from God.

I don't want to say too much more as it takes away from the story, but know there are no surprising twist or turns in this story. It is just a really well written book that makes you want to continue reading it. It is set in the Depression and yet it isn't really a story about the Depression, it just happens during that period. Which I did have to remind myself that they didn't have cell phones back then so calling while in trouble was out. :-)

On my blog while I was reading it wrote this little tidbit, "It is a bit of a puzzle, it has spiritual warfare, it has family issues and it has trust issues and in the midst of it all is a beautiful deaf mute boy. I still think that is a good way to summarize the story.

Happy Reading

No comments: