Saturday, November 7, 2009

Dan Walsh


Dear Readers,

Christmas novels are not my favorite. For one thing they are usually very sappy and way too short to really give the characters a good chance to develop. Some years I do have to read one to get in the mood. This year I read The Unfinished Gift by Dan Walsh mostly on the recommendation of a couple different people that made me just curious enough to read it. I have to admit that because there is a sequel coming in 2010 also kind of pushed me to read it. The Homecoming is going to be a regular fiction release and I thought maybe I should read the first one so I know what is going on so I can read that one.

Patrick lost his mother in a tragic car accident. To make matter worse, his father is off fighting in the war against the Nazis. Child Protective Services has no choice but to bring him to his grandfather who has never met him. Ian Collins hasn't spoken to his son since one terrible day when they fought and Ian told his to not come back.

Shawn is over in England flying missions into Germany. He has no idea that his wife is gone or that his son is now living with the man he has refused to forgive even at his mother's pleading.

I don't want to give too much more away. This is not a huge stretch away from "normal" Christmas books. It is a plain and simple feel good book. There is not any plot twist that you won't see coming, but it was a very good book to read this past weekend while the wind was blowing and the rain was coming down. It is that kind of book.

I am very interested in where The Homecoming will go. I do have a couple guesses and I enjoyed "Gift" enough to want to know the end of the story.

Happy Reading

No comments: