Monday, November 2, 2009

Ginger Garrett


Dear Readers,

Sometimes you go to read a novel and totally miss the point. I finally understand what Ginger Garrett is doing in her Chronicles of the Scribe series. In the Arms of Immortals she takes us back to Sicily in 1347. It is the time where the Black Plague is just starting it's march across Europe.

We start the story in modern times where Mariskka Curtis has struck it rich. Her first novel has made her an over night sensation. She doesn't miss her old life and is plenty glad to use her new millions to completely enjoy this life. The only problem is it isn't her novel, she stole the manuscript from a dying patient. She is the only one who knows that or so she thought until the night Mbube shows up at her door.

Mariskka is sent to live her new story. It is not a place she wants to be. She doesn't speak the language and isn't dressed correctly. She is quickly labeled as a crazy old lady and is cast as an outcast. She knows how to help the victims, not necessarily cure them, but at least make them comfortable. The problem is she can't communicate that.

For those that are sharper than I and remember things like this, you will recognize Mariskka for the end of In the Shadow of Lions. She is in the last chapter stealing the book that the Scribe is writing. Her problems begin when she doesn't realize what she has in her hands. Our next main character will be named... Oh wait I don't want to give that away. :-)

It was an interesting look at a period of time in the church history where they lost control of the sciences. Before, the doctoring and such was done by the church as healing could only happen when you prayed also. I do believe that, but I also believe that I can pray myself, I don't need the church to do it for me. I also believe that I don't need last rites to go to heaven, and the time of the black plague changed that for the Catholic Church in that before only priest or men could pray the prayers and words of the last rights, but because of the rapid pace people were dying, the church announced that woman could also give last rites. Interesting.

This is definitely not my favorite period of history. It is dark and a tough time to survive. So I am not that excited to find out about it, but this book may have changed my mind a bit. It isn't a close look at everyday life and yet gives you small glimpses into everyday life in a village.

I know this isn't going to be a book that everyone likes. But it is an interesting, thought provoking book about our history.

Happy Reading
Chris

No comments: