Friday, July 17, 2009

T.L. Hines


Dear Readers,

Faces in the Fire by T.L. Hines has to be one of the strangest books I have ever read. I spent most of the book trying to figure out what was going on and why the chapter numbers were completely out of order (I still haven't figured that out completely).

If I had to sum this book up in a short sentence, it is a "pay it forward" book, sort of. It is about how even the littlest thing that we do for someone else can effect them in way we may never know. I really can't say much about this book or I will give something away, even more so than a mystery. With a mystery I really only have to worry about telling you the "who-done-it" part. With this book, every part is part of the rest of the story, so I can't really share it. (confused yet?)

You will meet 4 very strange and unique characters. I don't know if you will like any of them, I struggled with them all. T.L. doesn't write them to be sympathetic. He writes them, I believe, for the sole purpose of driving the reader nuts. They were one of the most frustrating groups of people that I have read about in a long time.

If you are still reading this review, you may be wondering if I liked this book. Yes I did. It did take me a bit to write this review because I wasn't sure how or what to write. I don't know if this is the right one, but it is what I got. :-)

Kurt is a truck driver with no memory of his past. Corinne has lymphoma. Grace is a tattoo artist and Stan is an assassin with a strange gift. Now the trick is to figure out how these very different people can help and influence each other. It is part of a book that is just a bit, ok a lot, off center. Have fun reading it.

Happy Reading
Chris

No comments: