Wednesday, November 6, 2013

New Release - Samson - Shawn Hoffman

Dear Readers,

Books come across my desk almost everyday that I think to myself, 'I want to read that.'  Some of them do get read and others fall through the cracks.  I hate admit that I don't get them all read, but I sure do try hard. Of course that is half the fun, trying to read them all.

Samson by Shawn Hoffman is one that as soon as I heard about it, it went on my 'to be read' list.  The storyline caught my attention right away.  It is the story of Samson Abrams who along with his family are sent to Auschwitz.  While he is there he is recognized as a former boxing champ and is then forced to box for the entertainment of the officers.  If he wins, his family gets extra rations, if he looses they go to the gas chambers. 

Based on true stories that have come out of Auschwitz, it is a story that makes you wonder about human nature and how we can be so cruel to each other.  Reading books about WWII is hard enough because you know what happens, but reading about the families as they arrived at Hell on Earth makes my heart hurt.  They had no idea what they were facing and yet hoped against hope that they would be treated humanly. 

I will say here that I am reading it, I just got it started the other day at work, and there will be a review soon, but so far I am having a hard time reading it because of how awful things are.  I have to come up for breath once and a while to remember that things are o.k. here.  Not an easy read, but one that reminds you how evil people can be.

Happy Reading.

No comments: