Thursday, November 7, 2013

Katherine Reay

Dear Readers,

Dear Mr. Knightley by Katherine Reay is a book that I didn't know what I was getting into when I first started.  When I realized the book was written completely in letter form, I thought it was going to be tough slugging through it.  I have read other books in this form or diary form and I don't usually enjoy them because they don't always flow well.  This one is well worth the read, I enjoyed it and really related to the character even though her life and age are completely different from mine (while I was on vacation I read it in one day).

Samantha (Sam) is an orphan who has been in and out of the system for years.  She has learned to deflect everyone from her life and from knowing her better.  She makes her friends in the books she reads.  Austin, Dickens, the Bronte sisters to name a few.  She thinks it is working for her until she is forced once again back to the home because she loses her job because she does not relate well to others.  So true and it is a harsh realty for her to learn.  

Sam accepts a scholarship from a foundation that is willing to pay her tuition to a grad school, even if the degree isn't quite what she thought she would be doing, journalism.  But while learning how to write she has to learn more about herself and to trust people with her story.  

Sam is a real 3D character.  She has flaws, she has beautiful gifts to give others and she longs to be loved by a true family.  A forever love.  What she learns along the way is something we can all relate to.  She hides behind masks and refuses to let anyone in.  She figures if she hurts someone first then she is safe, but of course that means she never is open enough to trust anyone either. 

I really could go on and on about this book, but I might give some of the storyline away and it is something you need to discover for yourself.  I will say though that with her first novel, Kathleen does a great job of making you want to meet her characters and love them just for who they are.  I am excited to see what she does with her next book.

Happy Reading.

No comments: