Friday, June 28, 2013

New Release - Jolina Petersheim

Dear Readers,
Most of you know that Amish fiction is not my favorite genre.  I don’t want any of you to think there isn’t good Amish fiction, there is.  It is just not my favorite, but every once and a while one of them comes along and catches my attention.  The Outcast by Jolina Petersheim is one of those.  I am not sure why, maybe the cover or maybe the subtitle, but whatever it is it made me want to read it.
The subtitle of the book is “A modern retelling of The Scarlet Letter.”   Rachel Stoltzfus finds out she is pregnant she refuses to name the father, which in her Old Order Mennonite community is not tolerated.  She is shunned and forced to become a single mom trying to survive on her own without the support of family or church.   
To make the issue even trickier the bishop of her community is her twin sister’s husband, he is the leader of the community and forces her out.  When other secrets start to come to light, it is found out the bishop is hiding his own secrets. 
Secrets upon secrets, I think that might have been what caught my attention.  You always have to be careful of whom you point fingers at and make judgment on as you have no fewer sins than they do.  This book will be one of those interesting reads for whiling away those long summer evenings.
Happy Reading

2 comments:

Jolina Petersheim said...

Dear Chris,

Thank you so much for the wonderful review of The Outcast. I appreciate it a great deal!

Blessings,

Jolina

Chris Jager - Baker Book House-fiction buyer said...

Dear Jolina,

You are very welcome and I am looking forward to seeing what you write next.

Chris