Thursday, December 2, 2010

T.L. Higley

Dear Readers,

I have been reading T.L. Higley's books for years now.  The first few I read I enjoyed, but yet thought they could be better.  I kept thinking that they read too much like a history book instead of a fiction book.   The characters left a bit to be desired. 

Then she started the Wonders of the Ancient World series and I was completely hooked.  I was waiting for the next one to come out and to my surprise Petra came first.  This is a stand alone that has nothing to do with the series even though it could fit in it very well.

Cassia flees her home in the hopes of giving her son and herself a future.  She just finds more than she was counting on.  When they arrive in Petra, Aretas' home town, she finds out more than she bargained for.  Aretas is the missing prince of Petra and Alexander will be the next in line for the throne.

Of course not everyone is glad to see Alexander and mother and son get caught up in a spiritual battle for not only their own lives, but the very souls of the city.  The tiny little church of Petra is asked to stand between the city and the dark forces that are trying to take control.  With persecution starting to get worse, will the people be willing to risk their lives and the lives of their families for the life of one little boy?

I have found the city of Petra an interesting place.  A few years ago there was a display of the city at Calvin College and my youngest daughter was able to go and view it for school.  She still talks about it and I wish that I had taken the time to go.  It is an interesting city in how it was carved out of the cliffs of stone. 

The book itself explains some of  it and how the people that lived there were very creative in how not only their houses and shops were placed in the walls of the canyon, but even their tombs were carved into the wall.   So not only did I enjoy the story, I enjoyed learning a bit more about Petra and going to T.L.'s website to learn even more.  NoPassportRequired.com

Happy Reading
Chris

No comments: