Thursday, November 4, 2010

Walter Wangerin

 Dear Readers,
Walter Wangerin changed how I look at and read the Bible.  Since I was born and raised in a christian family and attended the christian school, I have always known the Bible.  There was never any great discovery moment until I read the Book of God by Walter.  It showed me that the Bible is actuallly God's story to me.  He is telling me about himself in a form that I could understand.  Story, my favorite type of book.  Wow. 
To say that I was very eager to read one of my favorite Bible stories rewritten by him is a bit of an understatement.  I know some of you are wondering why I didn't release this review earlier, then.  I am sad to report that I had to tragically keep putting this book off and reading others that had deadlines. (Yes I said tragically, even though the other books were very good also. :-)  Naomi and Her Daughters: A Novel, , n9780310327349

Naomi and Her Daughters is the retelling of the book of Ruth, sort of.  As you read it you will understand that statement, as this story doesn't fit neatly into the story in the Bible.  Walter doesn't change anything from the Bible story, he just puts it in to the correct setting with what was going on in Israel at that time.  Israel was in chaos and the enemies on all sides are attacking.  Into this time in history a small story happens that prepares the way for the coming Messiah. 

This isn't just the retelling of the Bible story, but a story of a woman who feels God has turned his back on her and she will now take control of her life and live it out quietly in her home land.   Having just read Pearl in the Sand by Tessa Afshar actually made this story even more poignant.  That is the story of Rahab who is Boaz's mother and here is the story of Ruth who marries him.  It is so beautiful to see the way those two stories of two very different families and people twine together to make the Book of God.
Happy Reading

No comments: