Tuesday, August 3, 2010

MaryBeth Whalen

Dear Readers
I will admit that I wasn't really sure if I wanted to read this book or not. It didn't really interest me and it seemed to have the same theme as a recent movie did. But it keep bugging me from the pile by my bed and I finally picked it up. I did enjoy it in spite of myself. :-)
MaryBeth Whalen got the idea for The Mailbox from an actual mailbox that is on a deserted part of the North Carolina coast. You can go there any time and find papers, pens and even notebooks to leave your letters or thoughts in the mailbox. Then, the Kindred Spirit comes and takes them out of the box and reads them. No one really knows who the Kindred Spirit is, but the box never fills to overflowing. People leave all kinds of letters and stories. Ones of confession and ones that talk of problems or the happiest vacation they just finished. It is a local land mark and one featured on postcards for that area.
Lindsey and Campbell meet one summer vacation. There is an instant attraction for them both. When Lindsey returns home to a mother who doesn't want her home, they vow that they will write and love each other forever. Their relationship continues to grow in the next summers as they get together again. It looks like a love that will last a lifetime. That is until Campbell makes a mistake and Lindsey must pay the price.
When life brings them back together at a low point for each of them, the relationship blooms again. Is this what they really want again? Can Lindsey truly forgive Campbell and move on? What about their families, will they understand what is happening to each of them?
This was an interesting little read. It only took me a couple of days to read it, but it was worth it. There is no great mystery to it and yet I did find myself wondering what was going to happen next. I have been to the outer banks of North Carolina and I found myself wanting to go back to visit. When I visited it was in the fall and I would love to visit in the summer and to maybe visit the Mailbox.
Happy Reading

No comments: