Thursday, August 12, 2010

Jerry Jenkins

Dear Readers,
First you need to know this book is a re-release of a book Jerry Jenkins wrote back in the 70's. It was originally called The Operative. Second, The Last Operative is not Jerry's best book. I, personally, had a terrible time connecting with the main character, Jordan.

Jordan Kirkwood was an experiment of NSA (National Security Agency). He was recruited specifically to spy on the the other spy organizations of the USA. He was a very specifically and patiently trained by Chuck Wallington. He gave up much for his career and his family is on the top of that list. He is finally getting to the point where he and his wife can finally take a vacation together.
When Rosemary is killed stepping off a plane to meet him, Jordan decides he has had enough and is ready to resign, but NSA tells him that the shooting in the airport was really a hit on him. They won't let him go until they know who called the hit and why. Jordon is not happy, but for his family's sake he stays and takes part in the assignment. It starts to look like someone inside is actually to blame for the attempt on his life. Will he be able to figure out who it is before they finally catch up with Jordan?
I do not like to write negative reviews. I figure authors get enough of that, if I don't like a book I just don't write a review. In this case, Tyndale sent me this book for free and asked me to post a review for it. They may not like it, but this is what I feel about this book. I am also going to say, I dd not read this when it first came out in the 80's as I wasn't reading Christian fiction at that time.
This book is a billed as a spy novel, but I would like to think there would be a bit more action and a lot less talking. There is way too much conversation between characters and the action is secondary. Don't tell me what happens, "show me." Several of the key incidents happen 'off page' and then are discussed by the characters. I would rather be part of the action than hear about it. That is why I read spy novels. I also have to admit several of the incidents that happen to Jordan I could see coming and yet he couldn't. Which surprised me as he is supposed to be one of the best in the business.
To be honest with you, as I was reading this I kept thinking, I hope that the real NSA, CIA, and FBI agents are more competent than Jordan and his fellow agents. Because if they aren't then our country is in big trouble. I was fairly disappointed in this book as Jerry is a much better writer than this. I guess I thought with a complete rewrite he would have improved this book to the level of some of his more recent books like Hometown Legend or Though None go With Me. Both of which are out of print, but well worth trying to get your hands on. I would pass on this one.

No comments: