Thursday, March 26, 2009

Jill Eileen Smith


Dear Readers,

Michal by Jill Eileen Smith is not a book I would have maybe picked up myself. It is not really a time in history that I am real excited about reading. I have heard the story of David all my life, either at church, home or school. I wasn't really all that interested in hearing about him again. This is not really a story of David, he is a major character of course, but he is not the focus of this book.

Michal is Saul's daughter. She is a princess and believes she deserves to help rule a country with her husband someday soon. It does help that she is in love with David and he seems destined to rise in the ranks of Saul's kingdom. She is ready to do anything to become his wife, even betray her sister to get what she wants.

I will admit that I really had very little sympathy for her throughout this whole story. She is very much a princess, and feels she is owed the world. She kind of just rubbed me the wrong way. David is written as a guys' guy. He is not written as perfect, just a 20ish guy who isn't quite sure how his life is going to go.

Michal on the other hand is written very much as a control freak. 'If this happens I can make this happen.' As she learns that isn't always true. The one thing I hadn't thought about, but she was horribly hurt and angered by the lost of her family. Saul, Jonathan, sisters... they were all eventually killed. She was the last left, except Jonathan's son, but she didn't seem to care for him. She grieved the lose of the others, sometimes when someone is an evil or bad person we forget there is a family who will grieve that person. To Michal, Saul was still her father, no matter how evil he was. I did put more of a human face on her and even him.

I would recommend this book to any one who enjoyed the story of the OT kings that Lynn Austin wrote. It is another good look at a part of that time in history that we know so much about and yet can still learn from it. I am looking forward to the next one. I am not sure which wife that will be, I guess I will have to wait and see

Happy Reading

No comments: